Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Two rides today

I managed two rides today. There's absolutely no point in owning a bike unless you find time to ride it.

And there are always reasons to ride. ANy reason, just pick one, or make one up.


Earlier in the day, went shopping with the kids, and it must have been a full moon somewhere. These two kids were all over the place; running, screaming, calling out, "Daddy ... Daddy ..." wanting this, that, or something else.

It's tough shopping for anything when the kids are acting this way ... you can't concentrate on what you're shopping for.

Groceries, in this case.

Anyway ... after a good talking to, I sent them both to their rooms.

While in their rooms, I took advantage of some good ride time.

I needed a phone number that was on my wall at work. So, I got on the bike and rode to work to get the number.

Sure ... I coulda used a phone book, dialed information ... I coulda got the number lots of different ways, but none of them would have included a ride on the bike.

And, of course, there's always a really long way to get to the office and then back home again. Six miles easily runs into 20 or 30.

So, I get the number and I make the call.

Back to home now ...

I go to my kids' rooms and tell them they can come out now.

I ask my daughter if she'd like to go riding with me. She always says," Yes, Daddy," every time I ask. And she's ALWAYS asking, so she loves it when I ask her.

So, we hit the road together (she's an excellent passenger, by-the-way [some passengers just cannot sit still]). We take the long way to a park, ride around there and see families playing and Bar-B-Queing ... and then we hit Miami Subs for some icecream. She gets her usual chocolate and I pick Rum Raisin. No rum in it.

Sun is going down and it's getting chilly ... and when I get home, I'm feeling bad about telling my boy his ride will have to wait until tomorrow. I find him playing Star Wars BattleFront II , with no interest in going for a ride anyway.

So, tomorrow, I've got another ride planned with the boy. Same trip, same Miami Subs ... only thing different is I'm not gonna have Rum Raisin.

No comments: